Deliciously light, flaky and savory pastry. A quick an easy meal for any weeknight. No cooking expertise needed!
You don’t need to be a chef or cook to put this meal together. It’s quick. It’s easy. It requires simple ingredients, but tastes amazing! Whether you’re a mother or college student, this is a meal anyone can put together on any weeknight. Trust me, it’s worth the little time you’ll spend preparing such a delicious meal.
It can be eaten alone or with any side dishes you choose to make. My family loves it alone, with olives and Mediterranean pickles on the side.
While there are different ways to make Spanakopita, my family loves it light and filling.
- 1 16oz package of 9”x14” Phyllo dough*
- 1 red onion
- 2tbs of oil
- 16oz bag of frozen chopped spinach
- ½ cup of Feta cheese **
- 3 egg whites***
- ¼ tsp pepper****
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- Black seeds (Nigella Sativa)
- Toasted white sesame seeds
- On medium heat, using a medium sized pot heat 2 tbs of oil.
- Add 1 red minced onion and stir until slightly cooked.
- Add the spinach and stir. Leave until it’s thoroughly cooked (needs at least 5-10 minutes).
- Add ¼tsp pepper and 2tsp lemon juice to the spinach.
- After the spinach cooks, place it in a colander to drain all of the liquid.
- Using a standard ¼ size sheet pan*****, brush the pan with olive oil.
- To assemble, place the dough onto the tray in layers. Lay two sheets at a time and brush them with egg whites. Continue until you have used half the package of Phyllo dough.
- Spread the spinach over the dough and then add the Feta cheese.
- Continue placing layers of Phyllo dough over the spinach.
- Repeat step #8 until you have used all the rest of the Phyllo dough.
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil and place in the fridge for 30 min to set.
- After 30 min, remove the tray from the fridge and cut the tray into any shape that you would like.
- Sprinkle black seeds and toasted white sesame seeds over the dough.
- Heat oven to 350º F and cook for 30-35 minutes.
- *The Phyllo dough should be taken out of the freezer to thaw the night before.
- ** You can use vegan cheese or omit the cheese all together.
- *** You can substitute the egg whites for olive oil.
- **** No salt is needed because the Feta cheese is salty enough.
- ***** I use a standard ¼ size sheet pan that measures 13-inch length by 9-1/2-inch width by 1-inch height