Rice is a staple in all Middle Eastern households. It can be eaten with almost any Middle Eastern dish, especially stews.
Making plain rice is very easy, but it’s the spices and the way you make it that makes all the difference. It can also be topped with all kinds of vegetables.
Topped with green olives and Mediterranean pickles.
Lightly sprinkle dry basil to all a nice color.
Topped with shredded, sautéed carrots.
- 2 cups of Basmati rice
- ½ tbsp of salt for soaking
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of turmeric
- ¼ tsp of cardamom
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- a handful of slivered almonds
- Thoroughly rinse rice several times then allow to soak for 30 minutes with ½ tbsp of salt.
- While the rice soaks, boil water, along with spices (salt, turmeric, cardamom), in a pot on high heat.
- After rice is done soaking, drain the water and add the rice to the pot. Allow water to boil over the rice, then place on low. Let rice cook for 15 minutes, then turn off stove.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet, then add shredded carrots and sauté lightly. After done sautéing, add slivered almonds and stir.
- Plate rice and top with carrot & almond mixture.
- *This method of cooking rice only works with Basmati rice. Different grains are cooked using different methods according to their properties.
- *For every cup of Basmati rice, you will need 1 ½ cup of water.
- *If you’re not a fan of carrots, you can use any other vegetable. Same with the almonds.