A quick and easy meal that’s a favorite at picnics!
Mujadara is an easy, simple, and delicious meal to make for family. My family favorite dish when we go on a picnic is Mujadara with a side of simple chopped salad and green olives. A quick and easy meal for the entire family!
Learn how to make this delicious meal by watching my recipe video on my YouTube Channel.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more recipes!
Simple ingredient for a quick meal.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups short grain rice
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ cup corn oil to sauté onion
- ¼ cup corn oil to sizzle the Mujadara
- 5 cups of water
- Soak rice in cold water with a pinch of salt
- Boil water in a pot
- Add salt, cumin, garlic powder
- Wash the brown lentils
- Add brown lentils to boiling water
- Slice onions
- While lentils are cooking, sauté onions in ½ cup of vegetable oil
- When onion reach a golden, brown color (become caramelized) add sumac and remove from heat
- Test lentils, if they are half cooked, wash the rice thoroughly and add it to the lentils
- Make sure the water covers the lentils and rice
- Mix the rice and lentils.
- After the water boils, lower the heat to low
- Rice and lentils (Mujadara) will be coked between 15-20 minutes
- Heat ¼ cup of oil in a pan and then pour over the Mujadara
- Add the caramelized onions to the Mujadara and mix all together
- Serve and enjoy!*
- * Traditionally, Mujadara is served with a simple chopped salad. You can also have plain yogurt, olives, radishes, and/or pickles on the side.